Monday 13 August 2012

Growth Spurt

After having quite a lot of comments about Josephs size, including people vastly over estimating his age, I decided to measure him today and plot him on the little growth chart that can be found at the back of the little red book every new mum is given.
It's actually quite hard to measure a toddler, Joseph kept thinking that the tape measure was a toy and he got very upset when I decided that I'd got the best measure I could and the thing was going away.
Joseph is 89cm tall.
Actually, that's a lot. A whole lot.
He now sits just a hairs breadth below the 98th percentile line on the chart. That means that if you lined up 100 boys of his age then only two would be taller than him, and not by much. It means that he's a full 2cm taller than the average two year old. No wonder most people think he's older and it's no wonder I worry about his development. I see children the same size as him and they're talking in a coherent manner - because they're much older!
I'm a little gob-smacked, I have to admit. Why is my child, my lovely little boy, heading towards giant proportions? I'm average height, my husband is average height as are my parents and his. The only tall person in my family was my Grandad and he wasn't massive, just a bit taller than average.
Perhaps I should be pleased. He's perfectly healthy, astoundingly so. He's only ever had one doctors appointment since he stopped seeing health visitors at a few months old and that was the standard year old check up. The doctor all but said that I'd wasted his time bringing him in as there was nothing at all to be concerned about. He's had a couple of light colds, a couple of very short lived fevers and a very light touch of rotavirus. I've read about some other cases of that bug and to say that he got off lightly is an understatement. He's never needed any sort of emergency treatment, for health or injury. When he was milk fed he threw up about five times in total and since weaning he's never been sick at all, apart from a tiny little bit when he got rather excited.
Me worry?
Perhaps he's "too" healthy?
To be frank, a child that jumps from the 75th percentile in height to the 98th in a matter of months... is that right? I'm going to measure him again just to be sure.
If anything, I got his height a little short. He did stand still for me, he'd got an ornament off the shelf and was intent on turning it over and over in his hands, thus enabling me to sneak up behind him with the measure. I had it locked at the 89cm measurement and when I placed the square  body of the measure on the back of his head, the tip did not quite reach the ground. If he's 90cm then that would shoot him up past the 98th percentile, but he'd still be on the chart, but only just. I'm going to go and weigh him now.
He weighs two stone. After a bit of head scratching, I remembered that there are 14 pounds in a stone and was able to use the conversion chart in the back of the book. I have never understood imperial measurements, 14 of this, 16 of something else, there are 12s and other measures too, none of which holds any logic to me.
28 pounds is roughly 12.72 kilos and that puts him...
Between the 75th and the 91st percentile lines. For a moment I thought he was too skinny, then I realised I was looking at the 2 year old line and not 20 months.
That means he's tall and thin-ish. I guess all those portions of chips and cake he ate on holiday haven't done him any harm. It certainly doesn't explain why he can still comfortably wear trousers designed for a 6-9 month old baby. They're fine in the waist, just short in the legs. On him they're cargo pants. A baby who actually fits in them must be a chubby, stubby thing.
Excuse me, but I have to go now. Joseph has just discovered how much fun it is to run his truck up and down on the top of our gas fire....

1 comment:

  1. Told you his middle name should be Sampson!

    ReplyDelete