Wednesday 23 May 2012

BBQ

It would seem that, for the moment, we have a little bit of summer and we all know what that means.
Sun, sweatiness, sunburn and heat rash.
Well, that's what I usually end up with if I don't slap the factor 50+ on with a trowel. I end up looking like an Elizabethan all painted up with white lead, but it's better than lobster skin and the risk of melanoma.
Joseph doesn't seem to mind the general warmth at the moment. He's in an old pair of trousers that still fit well round the waist but are much too short in the leg. In the winter this lead to cold ankles but now he just looks like he's in three quarter length trousers. If I don't mention it then people will think that's what they're supposed to be.
Ooops.
It's also the season of barbecues which is always fun, but keeping Joseph away from the hot stuff is going to be tricky. I'd like to point out that when I do a barbecue there's no botulism burgers or salmonella sausages. It is possible to cook on them without carbon on the outside and blood still in the middle, as long as you actually know how to cope in a kitchen. My advice? If you don't regularly cook on the hob, then don't think you can suddenly produce wonders over the coals, one of the hardest methods of cooking good food. Still, when it comes to grilling, my favourite thing to do is to stuff a sardine with garlic butter, wrap it in tinfoil and put it on. Yummy!
Joseph doesn't like fish that much. He'll cope with the highly processed fingers with their crispy crumb coating (but not too crispy) and that's about all. I gave him a mouthful of mackerel once and he gave me a look that would freeze the sun, followed by a grimace and then followed by the fish.
He doesn't like sausages much either, which is going to put a bit of a crimp in the grilling season. Nothing like some chunky cumberlands sizzling away.... ahhh.
I tried to give him salad once but I think he only ate it by mistake. It was a nice cous-cous salad with some spiciness to make it interesting. He liked the spice and the cous-cous and the bacon and ate some lettuce because it had some of the former attached to it, but the second bite was very much refused. 
No, I fear he will always be holding out for the desert. It is a funny thing how he will behave like he is full up with main course, only to suddenly find some room for a bit of cake or a biscuit.

So, for this years barbecue season Joseph will be eating: -
Half a bun and some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment