Saturday 3 March 2012

Targets

According to the various helpful emails I get from the various baby clubs I have joined (I did it for the vouchers) my little chap should have "up to eight teeth by now". He's got eight and the points of four molars sticking through as well. In teeth terms, he's ahead of the curve.
He has broken his block stacking record as well, now reaching six in a tall tower - and these were put on top of his squash bottle as well, making it more of a challenge. Apparently on the 2-2 1/2 year check you only need to manage three to be considered "normal".
On the other hand he hasn't shown a great deal of interest in using the spoon to feed himself and even finger feeding still has its bad days. How can a child who can put all the blocks in his shape sorter in less than two minutes find the concept of a spoon so hard to grasp?
Ah, development targets. I have to admit, all they seem to do is worry good parents and be utterly ignored by the bad. How many words should my fifteen month old be able to say? We've got Daddy, Mummy and No is coming along well, but neither of the first two really mean Andy or myself. Daddy seems to mean "What's that?" or "I want that!". Mummy usually means "I need attention" or "I'm unhappy". No, some of the time at least, does mean a negative. The rest of the time I think he just likes the sound. I keep hoping he'll get "Kitty" but no luck so far.
Still, his walking is now pretty much spot on, all he has to learn is that the quickest route from A to B isn't necessarily in a straight line if there's stuff on the floor. He's showing signs of wanting to run now, but so far he hasn't been able to do it.
He'll get there at his own pace which, knowing him, will be a fast walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment