Friday 18 November 2011

Little Fingers

I'm about to give up on having a bin in my living room. There just doesn't seem to be anywhere I can hide it any more that Joseph will not manage to spot, wriggle up close to and then manage to get his little fingers all over the rubbish. Perhaps my own dirty tissues aren't all that disgusting and there's probably no more germs on them than he's already been exposed to but I still don't think it will be all that healthy for him to eat them. I dread to think what will happen to his nappy contents if he did manage it!
Tissues are the least of my worries - all sorts of things have ended up in the bin, be it old socks with holes where the toes should be, defunct batteries, small pieces of craft wire, junk mail.... none of it would be terribly good news if found in conjunction with a small child's digestive system.
He now seems to have a knack for always knowing what he shouldn't be getting into. We have some black storage "cubes" in our house to keep our extraneous clutter at bay. One has a lot of Josephs toys stored in the top and one has all our various electrical chargers stored in it, along with some paperwork. You can probably guess which of the two he is most interested in getting in and which he almost totally ignores. I'm trying an experiment today, I'm swapping them over. You never know, it might just work.
I'm also calculating the "zone of reach" on all our higher surfaces. When not in use this keyboard shelf must be firmly put away or Joseph can now reach it. I was browsing the internet this morning when a little hand reached up and began patting the keyboard and before I knew what was happening the internet page had been zoomed in up close. He's tried to add extras to this blog from time to time, but I have deleted them.
It gets difficult sometimes. I'm working on some Christmas decorations for our church hall. This is a job I do every year now as we have a Christmassy event at the beginning of December and it all stays up until I get organised and take them down in January. I have been creating a some things at home and this has included painting a few things. All items including the newspaper to protect the new table must not encroach closer than two inches from the edge or a little pudgy hand will reach up and pull on it. I'm not convinced newsprint is good for the stomach and believe me, silver acrylic paint is very bad for the carpet.
I just hope that when he starts to pick up words that he will be an understanding child and not a terror. Sometimes I think he knows full well which of the black cubes he's not allowed into and goes for that one just to get my attention. Let the manipulation begin.....

No comments:

Post a Comment