Saturday 26 November 2011

Back to Work

Hey ho, it's that time again.
I've submitted my form to request the reduced hours I want to work and now I'm waiting for a call to arrange my "back to work" interview.
Am I looking forward to it?
To be brutally honest, not really. Well if you think about it, right now I spend all day with my little boy who is a lot of fun. Yes I have to get up early so a lack of a lie in isn't a problem, but mornings can still be a bit on the lazy side if I want them to be. I do a little bit of domestic work and then settle down on the sofa with Joseph to watch Timmy Time or Rastamouse. He has a nap then we might go for a walk depending on the weather or we'll make biscuits. He he, when I say "we" make biscuits, I make them and he eats them. Actually, when I say "he" eats them I eat them too and I have to be careful I don't eat them all or my post pregnancy weight loss will be all for nothing.
It will only be one day a week, but I will miss him. My main worry is that the day he spends at Grandmas will be the day he has a big development and I will miss it. I'm thinking something along the lines of his first word, or something like that.
I'll also have large degree of new mum paranoia. It's not that I don't trust you Grandma, but I will worry about him regardless. I'm sure you know what I mean. Is he eating his dinner, is he being good, have I remembered to put in enough nappies, does he miss me?
To be frank, with the last question I don't know if I'd actually be more upset if he didn't miss me. He will, no doubt, be having a whale of a time and I'll be in a corner softly blubbering.
Having had a discussion with some other mums it seems there's a big split between those of us who really don't want to part from our young offspring and those who are itching to get back to being a productive member of society. Neither side really understands the motivation of the other it seems and each thinks the other either cruel or silly.
Hey ho, we need a bit of extra cash right now. That's the motivation for me, regardless of anything else. It's probably the motivation for most working mums, now I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment